Commonly Asked About Ordinances

Below is a summary of the most frequently asked about city ordinances. For more information, consult the Roseville City Code or contact the appropriate department.

Animal Control & Licensing

Residents may not keep any animal which makes any noise that disturbs the peace and quiet of any other person. All dogs and cats more than 3 months old must be licensed and at all times wear a collar with tags attached. Owners must have proof the animal has been vaccinated for rabies.

Animals running at large may be impounded. A special multiple-dog license is required to keep more than 2 dogs over 3 months of age. Anyone who takes an animal off private property must have the animal on a leash and clean up after the animal.


Roseville requires people 15 and younger to be home by 10 p.m. People age 16 or 17 have to be home by midnight. There are several exceptions to curfews such as job hours, attending an official school or religious event, interstate travel, or when accompanied by a parent or guardian. For more information, contact the Roseville Police Department at 651-792-7008.

Garage Sales

Each home may have 3 garage sales a year, lasting no more than 3 consecutive days for each sale. Hours may be from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Garbage Carts

Garbage and yard waste carts must be stored out of public view except on the day of collection or if the hauler-provided cart has a closed secure lid. Carts may not remain at the curb more than 24 hours. Do not put carts in the street for collection. Haulers cannot begin pick up in residential areas before 7 a.m. Collection must be completed by 10 p.m.


Power lawn and garden equipment or other noise-making equipment may only be run between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. weekdays, 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. on weekends and legal holidays. Snow removal equipment is exempt. It is illegal to play a car stereo that is so loud it can be heard 50 feet or more away from a vehicle.


Vehicles and motorized RVs must be parked on a hard surfaced driveway. Inoperable and unlicensed vehicles must be parked in a garage. Boats may be stored in side or rear yards. Boats 20 feet long or less and supported on a trailer may be stored on a front yard hard-surfaced driveway.

Non-motorized campers and trailers may be stored in side or rear yards. They may be in a front yard for a maximum of 4 days.

Parking After Snowfall

No vehicle may be parked on any street beginning immediately after 2 inches of snow has fallen in a 48 hour period or until snow removal has been finished on that street.


Vehicles may not block city pathways and trails and snow may not be piled on pathways.

Permits for Property Improvements

Residents must obtain a permit for all property improvements involving work regulated by codes. For code information, read the Roseville City Code or call 651-792-7080.

Pet Stores/Sale of Cats and Dogs

Pet stores are prohibited from selling dogs and cats in Roseville. Pet stores can work with animal shelters and rescue organizations to showcase adoptable dogs and cats.

Rental Licensing

The Roseville City Code, Title 9, Building Regulations, has been amended to include Chapter 908: Rental Licensing for Multifamily Rental Properties of 5 or More Units (PDF). The purpose of this chapter is to assure that Multifamily Rental Dwellings (MRDs) with 5 or more units in Roseville are decent, safe, sanitary, and well maintained. For more information call 651-792-7340.

Tobacco Sales

The sale of tobacco in Roseville is restricted to persons 21 years or older.


Trapping or snaring animals is banned within the city, including in city parks. The ban was put into place to protect against injury by hazardous devices and to protect domestic animals, pets and non-nuisance wildlife from injury. 

The city allows trapping under the following conditions.

Using a cage trap to release the animal without significant harm
Trapping nuisance animals on private property as long as trapping does not endanger a person or domestic animals
Cage trapping by employees of or agents to governmental units for humane or other authorized purposes
Trapping by scientists for studying as long as animals are returned to their natural environment without significant harm
Trapping by the city or its representatives, by a governmental agency with permission by the city, or by a person with a valid trapping license issued by the state and written permissions and instructions from the city.

Violators could be charged with a criminal offense and fined.  

Trees & Plants

In some cases you may be able to trim a portion of a tree or plant rooted in your neighbor’s yard that hangs over your yard. For more information contact the Code Compliance Officer or 651-792-7080.